Evidence-based SaeboMind treatment for rehabilitation of movement after a neurological injury such as a stroke or brain injury involves actively listening to audio recordings and imagining what it would be like to perform the activity using the affected side.
- Choose from a variety of arm and leg every day activities in the SaeboMind Exercise Portal.
- Total practice time ranges from 20-30 minutes for one audio file.
- All audio files start with Introduction Meditation and end with a Closing Meditation that includes:
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation – a mindful sequence of contraction and relaxation of muscle groups to increase awareness and develop control of muscles;
- Deep Breathing – promotes a relaxation response to lower stress and increase focus, increasing oxygen and blood flow to brain and body;
Note: Intervention must include the introductory and closing meditation sequences for effectiveness.
Tip: For best results, each sequence can easily be performed following an initial direction by a therapist, non therapist (e.g. relative, friend, support worker) or by closely following the instructions in this manual.
Indications for Use:
- Following a stroke or brain injury that has resulted in difficulty moving one or both sides of the bodies due to weakness or motor control impairments.
- Must be able to concentrate for the duration of a session (20-30 minutes)
- Listening to mental practice tends to work best on those that can:
- understand concepts regarding mental rehearsal
- actively listen and imagine a visual picture in the mind
- understand (most) spoken directions.
- You can still qualify for mental practice even if you can’t move/feel your affected limb(s).
There are no known adverse effects for participating in mental practice. However, it is highly important to follow the below guidelines:
- Always perform mental practice in a chair or bed that is considered supportive, safe, and secure to avoid falls.
- Ensure all of your assistive equipment is within reach to avoid falls.
- NEVER STAND UP or physically perform any of the actions described during mental practice.
- Supervision is recommended for clients with disorientation or confusion that could place themselves at risk for injury.
- SAEBOMIND EXERCISE AUDIO FILES ARE INTENDED FOR LISTENING AND MENTAL PRACTICE OF A TASK ONLY.
- NEVER drive or operate a vehicle unless cleared by a physician.
- Always work directly with a skilled rehabilitation professional when physically practicing tasks that could place you at risk for fall or injury.
- After finishing your mental practice session, it is common to be very relaxed as you come back to awareness in your room. As a general precaution, be sure to give yourself time to sit up and stretch, move your muscles, and become alert before getting out of your chair/bed. This will help to reduce the risk of losing balance or becoming light headed from getting up too quickly.